Thursday 2 January 2014

#No27 Winter Dip in the Sea

This was to be my final big challenge - the challenge to end a year of 30 challenges, a winter dip in the sea. Now the original plan was to join other mad fools on New Years Day and take part in the Bognor Lions New Years Day dip at Bognor, however the weather had other plans. Strong winds and gusts of over 50mph meant that all dips were cancelled that day due to the dangers of being swept out to sea. So waiting a day for the sun to come out made all the difference! Dressed in my lycra running outfit and canoe shoes, my mad sister and I heading down the cobbles at high tide, Clymping Beach. The photos and video really do not do the size of the waves any justice - they were huge and at some points were reaching the back of the beach! It may have been a silly thing to have done and we probably could have been swept out to sea, however we spent some time choosing the safest spot. We sat  and watched the patterns of the waves and how they were breaking on the beach to choose the best place to go in. We grounded our feet in the shingle, bent our legs and held each other tightly. We slowly made our way further and further into the waves and spent some time with waves breaking around our knees and waists. Oh but then, a huge wave appeared from no where and went right over our heads sending us flying up the beach! The only sad thing is, my phone had just died and my mum was in the process of changing over when it happened so we have no footage of this event. We just have photos of us rather wet and chilly. Surprisingly the water wasn't that cold and it was loads of fun. The adrenaline pumping through your veins as you watch the waves crash towards you was epic. Nothing like it.

So that's it, my final one!Ok so I may have 3 foreign men to kiss and a few more miles to run however I am sure after all that I have achieved this year, those can be wavered slightly?! Tomorrow is the last day before my 31st birthday - a day for reflecting and maybe a spot of running!


No comments:

Post a Comment